Sri Ram Raksha Stotra - journeys in the mind

Well-meaning people, friends, family and colleagues always have advice for us. I tend to accept everything without question, assuming that there is a greater design in the scope of events in life. People close to me, at least some of them, feel that it is extremely wrong of me to accept such advice. After a while, I realise that there was indeed a greater design in what was happening, and I was glad that I had accepted the advice when it came. These, such circumstances or events, I feel, are the bricks that can be put together in the journey within each person's life.



One such advice was from a respected elder, sometime in 2009, I think, in February, if I remember correctly. It was to start chanting the Shiva Panchakshara Mantra, and to attempt one 'mala' (= one round of 108 prayers beads in one string) at least. I asked simpled questions, out of ignorance. Was there any specific time to recite the mantra? Could one eat non-vegetarian food on the same day? Should one recite the mantra at dawn or at dusk?

The elder had only one answer. He said that I should recite the mantra at the time when I feel I needed to do so. The call would come on its own. So, I became greedy. I asked the elder, if I could recite the mantra for more than 108 times? Could I do it twice on the same day? Would I get more support if I chanted more? He smiled, for he knew that I was just joking with him. It was the first time that we had met, and yet, it seemed like he could read me well.



He raised the benchmark, based on my responses. He advised me to additionally memorise the 38+ stanzas of the 'Sri Ram Raksha Stotra'. I agreed with him. He commanded that sort of obedience and faith. I knew that the Sri Ram Raksha Stotra would be in Sanskrit and that it would be extremely difficult to memorise the 38+ stanzas when I could not even read or speak Sanskrit. But, I accept advice, and I believed that I could do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment